In 1969, a few years after the school had opened its doors, mothers Lillian Parrott and Barbara Perry conceived the idea for a parents' organization that would support Parrott Academy's mission. The Mothers' Committee serves as a very important fund raising and support organization for the school. An executive committee consisting of committee chairs organizes fundraising efforts such as the biannual auction and the Boosterthon Fun Run, gift wrap sales, and other fund raisers. Proceeds go to special projects identified by the headmaster.
The Mothers'Committee consists of various subcommittees in charge of different functions including:
- Annual fund raising: coordinate the auction and Boosterthon Fun Run fund raising events held in alternating years, funds raised benefit special projects such as an activity bus, a covered walkway between the lower school and the fine arts building, and facility improvements
- Commercial fund raising: organize the "Food for Thought" program, grocery card gift cards sold by the Mothers' Committee with a percentage of the funds raised returning to the school and "Box tops for Education" which fund technology projects
- Grade mothers: work with teachers in the lower school to plan parties, class projects, chaperone field trips, and organize parent volunteers
- Grandparents and Special Friends Day: coordinate event during which lower school children bring a special someone to experience a school day with them
- Hospitality: coordinate food and decorations for many special events throughout the school year
- Library: work with the school librarian to organize the Book Fair - funds raised supplement the library's collection, coordinate the Wishing Tree, and supply library volunteers
- School Store: manage, order merchandise, and staff the school spirit store
- Special Events: host a faculty and staff appreciation luncheon and other events during Teacher Appreciation Week as well as collecting donations from families and local businesses for Thanksgiving baskets given to the support staff
- Wrapping Paper Sales: coordinate annual wrapping paper drive held at the beginning of the school year
The Mothers' Committee is a vital and hard working group of parents who make invaluable behind the scenes contributions to the school every day.
Every mom and dad is encouraged to participate in Mothers' Committee activities. An army of volunteers help with many events throughout the year. Volunteers are always welcome and encouraged to email the president or secretary.